05 October 2010

Initial Responses to Newell Lectures...

How many translations do we need?
There are only 2 translations of the German bible
Traditional Luther and the modern translation

2 in Chinese
Traditional characters, simplified characters

7 in Spanish
Modern translations, separation from the Catholic church, regional differences in language

So why do we need 15+ translations in English??

Speculations…
German language: “mann” refers both to “man” and to the generic “one”
Chinese language: 2nd person, any # is always masculine; 3rd person plural is always masculine
English speakers/readers are bored?

Speakers of other languages are thankful enough that God cares enough to speak to them in their own language.
They don’t spend time debating over political correctness or what God really meant.

Do other cultures need to be “liberated” so that women can be considered equal to men in society?
What if men and women of other cultures don’t have an issue with the male image of God because that image works for their culture?
If Yahweh is for relationships, how will the theology of liberation in breaking societal hierarchies help maintain or destroy what matters to Yahweh?

Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Jael, Nate here,
    I especially liked your question about relationships, "liberation" and what matters to Yaweh. I'm reminded of Dr. Brewer's often made point that a pastor's first rule should be to "do no harm." I'm not advocating naievte, rather more thoughtful reflection before we "liberate" an individual or culture.
    I also think that when changes are needed in a cultural system effort should be exerted to work within the system as much as possible first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mimu: All I know is that the more the bible is altered to fit political correctedness, the more we stray from the meaning of the words..and the more we lose sight of the big picture of our salvation.

    ReplyDelete