David asked earlier what the significance of "akan datang" and Luke 5 (the parts of the address of this site) were. I guess in the three years that have passed since this blog came into existence, even I have forgotten the significance.
So I guess it's time to revisit it.
This blog came into existence to document my experience when I did my internship in Berlin, Germany. At the time, the words "akan datang" came to mind because I had no other way of explaining what I was going to do in Berlin.
"Akan datang" is Malay (the language of the natives in Singapore) for "coming soon".
Luke 5, specifically the story where Jesus tells Peter to cast his nets deeper in the water, has been a key portion of scripture for my call to ministry. I don't know where I'm going half the time, except just a little deeper. "Coming soon" is a statement of faith for whatever it might be that is to come...
Years later, the journey hasn't changed that much. Still trying to convince myself there IS stability in living out that statement of faith, and going just that little bit deeper. I don't know that stability will ever happen for me in this life, except for the stability that comes from simply being faithful.
Joe reminded me recently that "simply being faithful" was the crux of our call. I remembered writing about it here. And that's what this blog is about. Documenting the very feeble attempt to simply be faithful. I'll probably get it wrong more than I'll get it right, but that's where grace, far greater than the human mind, comes in.
The rest of the call story can be found in the latest edition of "Called to Minister, Empowered to Serve". Available on Amazon.
Have I mentioned that I belong in a group of very, very quality people? Because I really do. They do a great job keeping me on the path of "simply being faithful," and I cannot be more thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment