However, I'm going to begin making some connections between those posts over the next few months to help make sense of this new thing that I keep talking about starting next year. So bear with me.
In the recent post about my second Kiwi birthday, I talked about a ten-year-old dream. There was a bridge in this dream that I've been trying to make sense of for the last ten years. But none of the explanations I've managed to come up with seemed to provide resolution like what happened with the other parts of the dream. Until recently. It began making sense.
Bridges are structures that people use to get from one place to another. Some of us stay on those bridges longer than others; some of us move on quickly. In a culture as diverse and transitionary as Auckland, folks are used to people coming and going. A few days ago, Nina and I caught up with Paul, who oversees the SUPAkidz clubs we run. I had sent an e-mail to Paul explaining that my time with the children's ministry at WCF was nearly up. As we caught up over a cup of tea, Paul began asking what my plans were for the future. As I began explaining the vague ideas I had, he nodded and began getting excited on my behalf. And then he said this:
"So we're not losing you completely, right?"The words were few, but it reinforced what I had long assumed to be true about Auckland. People come and go, and those who have stayed on are used to those transitionary folks. It affects the way people live life and the way relationships are viewed. Who amongst us are staying, and for how long? Do I let them into my life if they're going to leave after a short time?
And even more so, it affects the way we do church. How do we build a "life together" church if people are coming and going? How do we walk with each other, even if only for the short time that we're sojourning together?
As I've been thinking about how these all tie in together, the bridge imagery keeps coming back. The transitionary place. How do we make the most of our time together?In my next few posts, I'll begin to explain more of what this bridge is going to look like. Again, I hope you stay on board with me as you have all this while. Check back in, and see how the story is developing. Write, and let me know what you think. And if you're the praying type, pray.
As always,
i carry your heart (i carry it in my heart)
Arohanui,
me
No comments:
Post a Comment