03 January 2014

Of Hobbits, Elves and Gimli

As most know, I'm slightly crazy (no really, only slightly compared to the REAL nerds) about hobbits and elves and Middle Earth in general. After all, I do live in Middle Earth.

I'm acquainted with a few good people who identify themselves as hobbits--some for their physical stature; others for Bilbo's wandering spirit of adventure.

I've wanted to be a Bilbo for the journeys he took, but most would tell me I'm too lanky to be one. Besides, I find it too difficult to be content in the Shire, and too uncomfortable being in the limelight to have a whole book named for my unexpected journey.

So I wished I was a Legolas. Legolases are elegant and graceful, and have pointy ears that are kind of cute if you can get past the strangeness. But Rivendell is too peaceful of a home, and I'm too klutzy and have this inability to keep from jumping in the mud and splashing around from time to time.

I finally realised today I'm a Gimli. I'm not the leader of my pack, but I have a foolish loyalty to my clan, a deep sense of justice and come from a race that has had to reclaim home. I have trouble trusting (my father had stories of not trusting burglars until they prove themselves worthy), and I'm jealous of pretty elves who shoot arrows from a distance. Why do they get to stay pretty while I'm covered in dirt? I'm more comfortable working at a close distance with my axe (or tent peg), and Legolas really bugs me but I guess we can be friends if we're fighting the same cause.

I know, I know. I disclaimed earlier that I'm not a real Tolkien nerd. I really am not, but (in today's edition of "welcome to my brain") I'm simply trying to make sense of my role in Middle Earth, particularly as I stand at the crossroads of redefining my journey. We are not all elves or hobbits, but it takes the full fellowship of different races to complete the task at hand.

And knowing who you are and what you're best at makes it easier to focus on the task at hand, rather than trying to stay alive trying to do what isn't your task like Boromir, or being envious of those who do it differently.

Hmm. Maybe now I'll finally finish reading the entire Tolkien series. I told you I wasn't a real nerd--I've only seen the films and read half of The Hobbit. (Go ahead, you may now gasp with horror)

1 comment:

  1. How about Galaderiel or Aragon?

    Elwyn to Aragon in the movie "Return of the King":

    "Lay aside the ranger ... and become the person you were meant to be!"

    In this blog, you wrote: "I'm not the leader of the pack ...."

    I believe that the very best leaders are totally taken by surprise and find it impossible to comprehend when they learn that EVERYONE around them has known for so long that she/he possesses quiet, yet powerful leadership. The fact that the leader has so much difficulty to believe this about herself/himself simply serves to make her/him even MORE of a leader.

    And Jael ... ALL of us who are privileged to have walked with you on this journey have no shred of doubt that YOU are one of these kind of leaders!

    With Deepest Respect & Fathomless Gratitude ...
    Jim Hawkins

    ReplyDelete