The human mind is something that I've always been fascinated with. It's not so much the science of it as much as it is the amazement at its ability to be manifested in so many different ways. If we think of it is as an equipment for the processing of life, then whatever it might be that caused the existence of this equipment must have been ingeniously creative. (And probably one of the biggest reasons why I personally find it hard to not believe in a Creator God. But... that's just me.)
See, here's the thing. While it is true that life experiences are a great cause for the nurturing of certain personality traits, there's still this thing called the human mind through which these experiences are processed. So even two kids that share similar experiences growing up can turn out to be two very different people because their minds are wired to process life differently.
That. Blows my mind.
And maybe, just maybe, because my mind is wired to process life through the lenses of fascination with the human mind, this might just be why I can sit so comfortably with the idea of post-modernity.
On the other hand, I'm also blown away by the fact that it's nearly 2am and this mind of mine is keeping me up because of the way it is still actively searching for the right words to articulate all of this fascination. Hmm.
On a somewhat related note, this human mind of mine has also got me thinking about the cyclical nature of time. Now if you've been in MaryAnn Hawkins' Biblical Foundation of Missions class, I didn't exactly steal this idea from her. But I think I'm choosing to take comfort that I'm not completely insane for having stumbled upon this upon my own musings about life because there has been some scholarly work done on this prior to my own musings.
Here's the thing. In my last blog, I wrote about endings and beginnings and all of that stuff. I've been thinking back to all the endings and beginnings that I've had in the last few years, and it seems that each time something is ending, I can't really say that I see it as a "keep going, don't look back" thing. Yes, I do know what Paul said about "forgetting what lies behind and straining towards what is ahead" and all of that. And it has its validity, but that's not really what I'm talking about here.
More than anything else, these endings and beginnings feel more like, each time a chapter ends, I'm closing up a circle and drawing another one that starts from the same point where this first circle closes. Except, this new circle doesn't overlap much of the first circle, but takes its own direction. And all these endings and beginnings just create more and more circles around this same first point until this point becomes the center of all of these little chapters.
See where I'm going with this? (If it wasn't 2am, I'd actually produce a picture and post it here to help you visualize what I'm talking about. Maybe maƱana...)
But I keep coming back to the same "starting point," and starting to slowly let these circles of each chapter shape the life story until I find that this "starting point" has become the center of the entire story. And I don't think I'll ever be able to put into words what this center is or will look like until the day my physical existence on this earth is no more.
And that... is ok.
Alright, it is officially past 2 am. Enough musings for now. Update on the New Zealand process to come soon. Prayers appreciated.
See, here's the thing. While it is true that life experiences are a great cause for the nurturing of certain personality traits, there's still this thing called the human mind through which these experiences are processed. So even two kids that share similar experiences growing up can turn out to be two very different people because their minds are wired to process life differently.
That. Blows my mind.
And maybe, just maybe, because my mind is wired to process life through the lenses of fascination with the human mind, this might just be why I can sit so comfortably with the idea of post-modernity.
On the other hand, I'm also blown away by the fact that it's nearly 2am and this mind of mine is keeping me up because of the way it is still actively searching for the right words to articulate all of this fascination. Hmm.
On a somewhat related note, this human mind of mine has also got me thinking about the cyclical nature of time. Now if you've been in MaryAnn Hawkins' Biblical Foundation of Missions class, I didn't exactly steal this idea from her. But I think I'm choosing to take comfort that I'm not completely insane for having stumbled upon this upon my own musings about life because there has been some scholarly work done on this prior to my own musings.
Here's the thing. In my last blog, I wrote about endings and beginnings and all of that stuff. I've been thinking back to all the endings and beginnings that I've had in the last few years, and it seems that each time something is ending, I can't really say that I see it as a "keep going, don't look back" thing. Yes, I do know what Paul said about "forgetting what lies behind and straining towards what is ahead" and all of that. And it has its validity, but that's not really what I'm talking about here.
More than anything else, these endings and beginnings feel more like, each time a chapter ends, I'm closing up a circle and drawing another one that starts from the same point where this first circle closes. Except, this new circle doesn't overlap much of the first circle, but takes its own direction. And all these endings and beginnings just create more and more circles around this same first point until this point becomes the center of all of these little chapters.
See where I'm going with this? (If it wasn't 2am, I'd actually produce a picture and post it here to help you visualize what I'm talking about. Maybe maƱana...)
But I keep coming back to the same "starting point," and starting to slowly let these circles of each chapter shape the life story until I find that this "starting point" has become the center of the entire story. And I don't think I'll ever be able to put into words what this center is or will look like until the day my physical existence on this earth is no more.
And that... is ok.
Alright, it is officially past 2 am. Enough musings for now. Update on the New Zealand process to come soon. Prayers appreciated.
No comments:
Post a Comment