27 March 2011

Life at the Moment...

As promised, an update on the New Zealand process.

Here's the gist of what it comes down to. After the interview process was over, it was time to get to work to actually make this thing happen. Sure, the church said yes. Sure, I said yes. But there are still tricky things involved; the two biggest of which were finances, and visa.

With regards to the visa situation, we had talked about me applying for what is known as the Holiday Work visa.  But what we didn't realise was that this visa was unique to the immigration systems of different countries, which means that what is known as the Holiday Work visa for holders of a US passport is known as a Work Exchange visa for holders of a Singaporean passport. And one of the requirements for a Work Exchange visa is that you have to either be a current student in a university or polytechnic, or you have to have graduated from a university in Singapore. At least, that's what I understood about it.

Which... I don't fit into either of those. Which... Is a problem.

So we're trying to figure out if there's a way to get around this visa or simply try to apply for a different one. The other tricky part about this is that before I can proceed with anything else, I need to get my passport renewed. Which... If I were in Singapore, this would take a maximum of two weeks. I don't mean to brag about Singapore, but that's just how efficient they are. BUT because I'm here in the US, I have to drive to Chicago, where the closest Singapore embassy is to pick it up. Not that it's incredibly difficult, but it just takes a lot more time.

The financial piece, on the other hand, gets slightly trickier. Without going into too much details, we've been running into dead ends with the fundraising piece. The church in Auckland is young and small, and my personal belief is that these resources should be channeled to ministry rather than to supporting me. If a day should come where there is enough for them to support extra staff, and I'm still serving with them, then fine and good.

So we're trying to come up with more creative ways to fundraise. It just gets a little more stressful simply because of the fact that even as we speak right now, financial stress of the current day-to-day life is a burden. There are still days when I think, "God, you do realise that if I hadn't quit my job and gone to Germany when I did, life would be a lot easier now, you know? And I know Canaan is far better than Egypt, but right now in the wilderness, Egypt looks so much better." Especially after a week like this one that just passed, when one thing after another just smacked me hard in the face. And for as "high" as I've been, the rate of how quickly I crashed after some discouraging news this week is alarming. Mostly because it reminded me again that this battle isn't mine. And in the spiritual realm of things, this isn't about me as much as it is about my willingness and ability to be used as a pawn in the battle that's going on up there. (And for the record, by "up," I don't mean a physical heavenly place above the sky, as much as an "up there" that is WAY beyond me.)

And then I remember the words, "Go a little deeper and cast your nets." The words from Luke 5, the very words that inspired the existence of this blog. The words that my pastor back in Singapore commissioned me with when I left for the very first time to come to college here. The same words that echoed in my ear as I boarded the plane for Berlin, having no clue at all what I was doing. The words that remind me, "Jael, this is your walk of faith. Keep walking, and keep trusting me. I will show up for you."

And if I had the opportunity at all to go back in time, would I change anything from the last seven years? I think not. As much spiritual, emotional and mental turmoil as I have been in in the last seven years, the peace that I have now having gone through all of those struggles is something that I would never trade for anything in the world.

And that... is my life at the moment. If you're the praying type, say a prayer, would you? Thank you.

Love you all.

2 comments:

  1. Not sure what this means but your reference to Egypt prompts me to the OT lection for last week--God to Moses: "Go forward ahead of the people.... and bring along the staff with which you struck the Nile. Go, you will find me waiting for you there, by a rock in Horeb... (Exodus 17:5-6).

    And I do pray for you, regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whether you turn to the right or to the left, your ears will hear a voice behind you, saying, "This is the way; walk in it." - Isaiah 31:2

    I'll be praying for you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete