Right smack in the middle of my last North American Convention of the Church of God, and so much has happened already. So many highs, so many lows.
It all began Thursday afternoon when I met with Don and Caroline Armstrong, who will be my Regional Coordinators when I get to New Zealand. Because I'm not a US citizen, the visa/fundraising process has been a really interesting one with lots of twists and turns, hoops to jump through, doors to knock on only to find them shutting before I even get a word in. Prior to the meeting with Don and Caroline, I was starting to lose hope, and had even considered moving back to Singapore. The process would be so much easier.
But... For whatever reason, I always find myself ending up with the processes that are much longer, more complicated, more frustrating... and eventually, more rewarding. Would I trade it for anything else? I think not.
Then Thursday came around and we had a really brief meeting just to touch base on where we all are with things. After some very encouraging words, they also offered to help me connect with other 501(C)3s that might be able to help accomplish what I needed. I was to show up at a fish-fry on Saturday (something I've heard about every year I was on staff at GM, but never thought to go to), and they would get me connected to a possible answer.
Thursday was an encouraging day.
Friday came around, and I got to spend the day painting and hanging out with some of my favourite people who feed my soul. Friday was another encouraging day.
Saturday came around and as I picked Jenny up to head over for our first ever NAC speaking engagement, I remembered telling her the last two days have gone very well, and I was afraid of what that day might bring. Since being an introvert comes more naturally for me, I had forgotten what it was like to face the NAC crowd. It wasn't that I didn't like being around crowds; it was more of trying to remember the art of putting aside the introversion that I had mastered because of my 2.5 years with GM.
It wasn't until after that was over and when I went over to the tent that it hit. This was my last NAC for a while. I wasn't one of those kids that grew up going to Campmeeting, but this convention had become so much a part of my Anderson life that it was another "see you later" that I had to do. And I also realised then how much I missed being around the missionary community. Not that I thought they were more special than ministers in the US, but they, too, had become such a regular rhythm of my Anderson life.
And then I went over to the fish-fry. I had barely even gotten there when I was being introduced left and right to people who would be helpful with my New Zealand process. And Don and Caroline were keeping track of all the stuff that I had to do. So... We are a go now, that I've found the 501(C) 3 that has agreed to work with my fundraising! When it became the right time, it only took three days, as opposed to the few months that I had tore my hair out being frustrated about it. Mind-blowing? Heck, yes.
The service on Saturday night blew my mind. Things that I had given so much thought to were being articulated to the masses in a way that would hopefully be heard and actually permeate the culture as is the theme for this year's convention. Wow.
Saturday was an up and down day.
Church this morning was packed out with all the good old Church of God saints. One of my favourite NAC moments is when all the AU/AC/Park Place Choir alum gather together to sing "I am a Child of God." (Yes, go ahead and laugh at the fact that the Church of God nerd that I am know that that is hymn #567 in the red Worship the Lord hymnal). Standing up front with all those people was another one of those moments that I took in deeply, knowing it will probably be a while before I get to do that again.
Getting to greet and eat with some of my once-a-year friends? Another favourite. Honestly though, I don't think it's fair that it's easier for people to remember me because I'm the tall Asian so I stand out. And as Mike and I have joked about, all white people look the same, so it's so much harder for me to remember them. But all the same, being able to greet people who remember me again? Another favourite.
Spent the afternoon setting up for Kid's Place, trying to track down a few people that I needed to see, and beginning to process everything that has happened in the last week... and getting a little bit overwhelmed. But hey, at least I have time to breathe this year!
Hardly warmed up my seat in Reardon before the evening service tonight and Caroline Ackerman leans over and asks if I've heard that Cheryl passed away at 4. And all of a sudden it was too much to take in. I may not be commissioned tomorrow night, but Don and Caroline have made it clear that they see me as a part of the Asia/Pacific region (and not just because my passport belongs in Singapore). So many thoughts swirled in my head about what this would mean to the whole family that I've gotten to know as a result of all our involvement in cross-cultural work. But not only that, what did that mean for the Church of God in Japan now?
Then later on in the service as I watched Pastor Lwo walk down the aisle to be anointed, that was when it hit. Cheryl's passing didn't just impact her family. Cheryl had done so much writing for and about the Church of God that her passing meant the end of an era. And the Asia/Pacific region that I had just been welcomed (back) into have already had enough losses first with Susan, then more recently with Cindy, and now Cheryl.
And running into more familiar faces and starting the, "Well, I'll see you again probably in a different land" conversations...
Tonight has been a culmination of a lot of different kinds of emotions.
Tomorrow will be Day 3 of my last NAC for a while. Off to bed before an early morning.
It all began Thursday afternoon when I met with Don and Caroline Armstrong, who will be my Regional Coordinators when I get to New Zealand. Because I'm not a US citizen, the visa/fundraising process has been a really interesting one with lots of twists and turns, hoops to jump through, doors to knock on only to find them shutting before I even get a word in. Prior to the meeting with Don and Caroline, I was starting to lose hope, and had even considered moving back to Singapore. The process would be so much easier.
But... For whatever reason, I always find myself ending up with the processes that are much longer, more complicated, more frustrating... and eventually, more rewarding. Would I trade it for anything else? I think not.
Then Thursday came around and we had a really brief meeting just to touch base on where we all are with things. After some very encouraging words, they also offered to help me connect with other 501(C)3s that might be able to help accomplish what I needed. I was to show up at a fish-fry on Saturday (something I've heard about every year I was on staff at GM, but never thought to go to), and they would get me connected to a possible answer.
Thursday was an encouraging day.
Friday came around, and I got to spend the day painting and hanging out with some of my favourite people who feed my soul. Friday was another encouraging day.
Saturday came around and as I picked Jenny up to head over for our first ever NAC speaking engagement, I remembered telling her the last two days have gone very well, and I was afraid of what that day might bring. Since being an introvert comes more naturally for me, I had forgotten what it was like to face the NAC crowd. It wasn't that I didn't like being around crowds; it was more of trying to remember the art of putting aside the introversion that I had mastered because of my 2.5 years with GM.
It wasn't until after that was over and when I went over to the tent that it hit. This was my last NAC for a while. I wasn't one of those kids that grew up going to Campmeeting, but this convention had become so much a part of my Anderson life that it was another "see you later" that I had to do. And I also realised then how much I missed being around the missionary community. Not that I thought they were more special than ministers in the US, but they, too, had become such a regular rhythm of my Anderson life.
And then I went over to the fish-fry. I had barely even gotten there when I was being introduced left and right to people who would be helpful with my New Zealand process. And Don and Caroline were keeping track of all the stuff that I had to do. So... We are a go now, that I've found the 501(C) 3 that has agreed to work with my fundraising! When it became the right time, it only took three days, as opposed to the few months that I had tore my hair out being frustrated about it. Mind-blowing? Heck, yes.
The service on Saturday night blew my mind. Things that I had given so much thought to were being articulated to the masses in a way that would hopefully be heard and actually permeate the culture as is the theme for this year's convention. Wow.
Saturday was an up and down day.
Church this morning was packed out with all the good old Church of God saints. One of my favourite NAC moments is when all the AU/AC/Park Place Choir alum gather together to sing "I am a Child of God." (Yes, go ahead and laugh at the fact that the Church of God nerd that I am know that that is hymn #567 in the red Worship the Lord hymnal). Standing up front with all those people was another one of those moments that I took in deeply, knowing it will probably be a while before I get to do that again.
Getting to greet and eat with some of my once-a-year friends? Another favourite. Honestly though, I don't think it's fair that it's easier for people to remember me because I'm the tall Asian so I stand out. And as Mike and I have joked about, all white people look the same, so it's so much harder for me to remember them. But all the same, being able to greet people who remember me again? Another favourite.
Spent the afternoon setting up for Kid's Place, trying to track down a few people that I needed to see, and beginning to process everything that has happened in the last week... and getting a little bit overwhelmed. But hey, at least I have time to breathe this year!
Hardly warmed up my seat in Reardon before the evening service tonight and Caroline Ackerman leans over and asks if I've heard that Cheryl passed away at 4. And all of a sudden it was too much to take in. I may not be commissioned tomorrow night, but Don and Caroline have made it clear that they see me as a part of the Asia/Pacific region (and not just because my passport belongs in Singapore). So many thoughts swirled in my head about what this would mean to the whole family that I've gotten to know as a result of all our involvement in cross-cultural work. But not only that, what did that mean for the Church of God in Japan now?
Then later on in the service as I watched Pastor Lwo walk down the aisle to be anointed, that was when it hit. Cheryl's passing didn't just impact her family. Cheryl had done so much writing for and about the Church of God that her passing meant the end of an era. And the Asia/Pacific region that I had just been welcomed (back) into have already had enough losses first with Susan, then more recently with Cindy, and now Cheryl.
And running into more familiar faces and starting the, "Well, I'll see you again probably in a different land" conversations...
Tonight has been a culmination of a lot of different kinds of emotions.
Tomorrow will be Day 3 of my last NAC for a while. Off to bed before an early morning.
No comments:
Post a Comment