I've never been one who would start off a year with New Year's resolutions, mostly because I knew myself well enough to know if I made it to my birthday still keeping those resolutions, it would have been a miracle.
But this year, I decided I was going to make a short list of5 3 goals to put a little bit more health and discipline into my life. So here's what I've come up with...
Spiritual Health
In the few months since I left Anderson and the circles of Seminary and Park Place influence, I've found myself REALLY missing the lectionary readings. So combining that with my attempt to take Bible reading a bit more seriously this year, I'm going to start following the lectionary readings at my own time.
Feel free to join in if you want, and especially if you're interested in having cyberspace conversations in this space. This is the resource I'm using, and I'm following the Revised Common Lectionary.
Mental/Emotional Health
Along with that, I'm also going to try to be more intentional about my writing. Because a lot of my processing happens through writing, I'm going to try to write once a week, and they will revolve around one of these:
Physical Health
Because I'm tall and thin, I rarely feel like I have permission to complain about my body image issues. But the truth is, just because I'm tall and thin doesn't give anyone the excuse to say to me, you don't have to exercise since you don't have any weight to lose. Well, bullshit, I tell you. Just because I don't have to lose weight doesn't mean I don't have to work out to stay fit. But I've used the "you don't have any weight to lose" excuse to be lazy for too many years now.
In the last couple of months, I've started going to work out with Kathrin about once a week, and then to Zumba at Helen's. The goal this year is to keep to a consistent twice-a-week workout time. Even if some weeks I only have time to do crunches, it's the thought of keeping that disciple that counts.
So we'll see how well I do with that this year, and if I make it to my birthday in February. You're welcome to help keep me accountable :)
Editor's note: By 5 goals, I really meant 3. Thanks to Kathrin and Stefan for pointing out my inability to count.
But this year, I decided I was going to make a short list of
Spiritual Health
In the few months since I left Anderson and the circles of Seminary and Park Place influence, I've found myself REALLY missing the lectionary readings. So combining that with my attempt to take Bible reading a bit more seriously this year, I'm going to start following the lectionary readings at my own time.
Feel free to join in if you want, and especially if you're interested in having cyberspace conversations in this space. This is the resource I'm using, and I'm following the Revised Common Lectionary.
Mental/Emotional Health
Along with that, I'm also going to try to be more intentional about my writing. Because a lot of my processing happens through writing, I'm going to try to write once a week, and they will revolve around one of these:
- Something from the lectionary reading
- Something I'm thankful for
- Something I've learnt about God/myself/others
- Something I'm praying/need prayer about
Physical Health
Because I'm tall and thin, I rarely feel like I have permission to complain about my body image issues. But the truth is, just because I'm tall and thin doesn't give anyone the excuse to say to me, you don't have to exercise since you don't have any weight to lose. Well, bullshit, I tell you. Just because I don't have to lose weight doesn't mean I don't have to work out to stay fit. But I've used the "you don't have any weight to lose" excuse to be lazy for too many years now.
In the last couple of months, I've started going to work out with Kathrin about once a week, and then to Zumba at Helen's. The goal this year is to keep to a consistent twice-a-week workout time. Even if some weeks I only have time to do crunches, it's the thought of keeping that disciple that counts.
So we'll see how well I do with that this year, and if I make it to my birthday in February. You're welcome to help keep me accountable :)
Editor's note: By 5 goals, I really meant 3. Thanks to Kathrin and Stefan for pointing out my inability to count.
No comments:
Post a Comment