Opened my treasure trove again today.
In it, I put Shireen, the Malaysian auntie from the $2 shop who has been looking out for me because "we're from the same kampong." Today, she gave me a big bag of clothes and a box of books for the kids in our church.
I also put in Verena, the Singaporean auntie I met at the Singapore Club Chinese New Year dinner who told me to be in touch with her if I need anything since they live pretty close by. Ran into her at the grocery store on Monday and she wanted to know how I've been.
And Auntie Enid and Uncle BK, friends of my parents, "I've known her since she was this tall..." for curry puffs, loaning their steamboat for Chinese New Year, making sure I've tasted feijoa, and homemade achar.
And dinners, evening walks, ice-cream, ridiculous laughter and theological brain explosion with one of my favourite people in the limited time we have left being in close physical proximity.
And visits from fine folks from a time and space outside of Auckland.
Today, I'm thankful.
No comments:
Post a Comment