10 July 2012

Quiet Strength

Today I witnessed again the strength of two beautiful women I'm blessed to call friends.

Two separate stories that meet at the intersection called (as one of them put it), "If this happened in the movies, you wouldn't even believe it."

Today I celebrate their strength.
Strength that still finds a way to keep a sense of humour while trying to track down a guinea pig that had been dropped out of the window of a van, all after a week of nursing a child who has just had her tonsils taken out.
Strength that still finds a way for a sarcastic smile while bedridden after having been serially taken advantage of by less-than-responsible friends.
Strength that, even as they are crying out, "Oh God, how long?" continue to face their every day circumstances with strength.

Oh, the full stories stretch for years beyond just the little upsets of today.
I marvel at how they can keep going after years of facing this as a reality every day.

Their stories remind me of others who face each day the "that's not fair" cards that Life has dealt them.
Like my own grandmother whose life story I would someday like to compile into a book.
Or my own mother who work and give, and mother other children whose paths cross her life.
Or the friend who "mothers" me every month without realising she was fulfilling a prophetic dream that happened years ago.

And other mothers who mother their own children as well as others' children.

A friend in Singapore said I was "noble" for being willing to give it all up to live this life of having close to nothing to do this "good work".

Being here isn't noble.
I had the choice of whether I wanted to come.

And then there are those who live in circumstances where they wished they had a choice to be young again, to take off again, to not have a care in the world again--and in spite of that, choose to face each day with strength.

That.
That is noble.

To these beautiful women that I get to call Mother, Friend and Sister, thank you for your strength that is inspiration.
It is a privilege for me to be able to share life with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment