i carry your heart

(i carry it in my heart)

21 September 2012

Whanau


Dictionary

Search Results

    Web definitions
    • Whānau is a Māori-language word for extended family, now increasingly entering New Zealand English, particularly in official publications.
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whānau

    • (the basic unit of Maori society into which an individual was born and socialised),
    www.justice.govt.nz/publications/publications-archived/2001/he…

I've been giving some thought to what life is going to look like past December 2013, the official date my contract with WCF ends, but mainly only because my visa expires then. If it makes sense for the Church to have me stay on past December 2013, by all means, I'll be here. But if I've become more of a nuisance than I am now, I'm not going to overstay my welcome. Anyhow, that's still a ways ahead so there's no pressure for concrete plans.

At the same time, as much as I have thoroughly enjoyed drifting where the wind blows/where the Lord leads, there are moments--sometimes long days on end--when I long for a bit more stability. Often the most nagging one is the financial stability.

I have made it through a whole year through the generosity of family and friends, and then some. There's a part of me that says, "Cool, let's see how Providence continues to sort this out." Then there's a part of me that's becoming increasingly obnoxious with the, "'Making it through' was fine while you were in college and seminary. But you're 26. That's not going to cut it anymore."

I'll be eternally grateful to Missionary Action Projects--and all involved to get me connected to them--for graciously helping me transfer funds. But because they only transfer my funds and there isn't a formal sending organization, a lot of times I have to pull out the dusty memory files from the Global Missions days to create a whole new system to "send" myself.

Along with the steep learning curve that comes with moving to a new culture and process the immense grief of the whole transition period, I've also had to force myself to be intentional about pastoral care--shamelessly throwing myself at mentors, begging them to pastor me through this process. I've never really worked with a budget, much less having to create a feasible one for a lifestyle I knew nothing about, to know what to present to folks who might be keen to throw in financial support. I've always enjoyed the writing process, but to create newsletters that are succinct enough to communicate all that's going on here (bear in mind these newsletters go to the odd combination of old friends, folks who want to support ministry, and mentors who want to know I still have a little bit of sanity left) and make sure they go to all the folks they are supposed to go to, holy shenanigans... Where do I even start writing? Throw in the non-existent budget to go hang out with folks who send money, cards, candy and beat-up iPods, and figuring out how to get the cheapest flights to go to all these places...

I found myself wishing again that I either wasn't born outside of the US, or hadn't spent those seven years there that resulted in the formation of most of my networks within that country.

Which was why when I stumbled upon a possibility of an official sending agency, I got really excited. Not only would there be a little bit of help in all of those other areas, but I would also more formal financial support--even if they are from folks I've never met before.


And then...
Of course. Why should I be surprised?

I got a little note from dear, sweet friends in Anderson. There weren't very many words on the little page, but to know that Phil and Phyllis Kinley who had given a significant part of their lives to the Church in Japan took the time to write that little note and say, "Hey, we think of you often, and we're praying for you." left me shaking my head.

"No, I'd rather have instability with whanau (family) than stability with strangers."

After all, this has been a year of embracing the very significant but often distracted part of me that desperately wants to dig into the grassroots. I'm barely getting my shoes muddy and the distractions have been aplenty.

Well, guess what?
I'm happy in the mud.

That's where my whanau is.
Posted by Unknown at 1:06 AM
Labels: Akan Datang, Anderson, Auckland, Dreams, Fundraising, Life at the Moment, Member Care, WCF, Whanau

No comments:

Post a Comment

Newer Post Older Post Home
Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom)

About Me

Unknown
View my complete profile

Followers

Visitors

Blog Archive

  • ►  2016 (4)
    • ►  December (1)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (2)
  • ►  2015 (5)
    • ►  June (1)
    • ►  March (1)
    • ►  February (1)
    • ►  January (2)
  • ►  2014 (35)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (1)
    • ►  August (1)
    • ►  July (2)
    • ►  June (5)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (5)
    • ►  March (3)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (8)
  • ►  2013 (58)
    • ►  December (4)
    • ►  October (4)
    • ►  September (8)
    • ►  August (4)
    • ►  July (12)
    • ►  June (3)
    • ►  May (4)
    • ►  April (7)
    • ►  March (4)
    • ►  February (2)
    • ►  January (6)
  • ▼  2012 (61)
    • ►  December (3)
    • ►  November (5)
    • ►  October (4)
    • ▼  September (7)
      • The Big Death
      • The Stories of Introverted Ministers
      • On Journaling (Bird by Bird)
      • Whanau
      • Roots
      • 10,000 Reasons (Happy 1 Year in Aotearoa)
      • 时间会冲淡一切 (Time Will Dilute All Things)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (4)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (5)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (6)
    • ►  February (6)
    • ►  January (7)
  • ►  2011 (71)
    • ►  December (2)
    • ►  November (5)
    • ►  October (7)
    • ►  September (6)
    • ►  August (7)
    • ►  July (11)
    • ►  June (9)
    • ►  May (5)
    • ►  April (4)
    • ►  March (5)
    • ►  January (10)
  • ►  2010 (67)
    • ►  December (6)
    • ►  November (3)
    • ►  October (2)
    • ►  September (3)
    • ►  August (3)
    • ►  July (7)
    • ►  June (7)
    • ►  May (15)
    • ►  April (9)
    • ►  March (7)
    • ►  February (1)
    • ►  January (4)

The Kampong

  • hannah adams ingram
    A Prayer for the Journey
    10 years ago
  • Holland-Bound!
    The Church is Alive!!! Report on N. Italian Youth Camp 2018
    8 years ago
  • It's pronounced Weeb
    2 years old!
    8 years ago
  • James Willard Johnson
  • Kimberly Majeski - Home
    Dr. Beth Ann Barr
    8 months ago
  • Loving the Lakota
    It's good to be tired
    10 years ago
  • Morning Joe
    Second cup: "Bread and Forgiveness"
    8 years ago
  • noggingrande | A place where the ideas bouncing around my oversized head, come to find expression.
    Having fun with the Gospel of Mark
    11 years ago
  • Pastor K's LifeLook
    A Fuller Vision
    6 years ago
  • Sudden Wonder
    Yet I Still Dare to Hope
    8 years ago
  • The Hodges' Go International
    Coming Together
    12 years ago
  • The Unconventional Pastor's Wife

Notesworthy

  • Choco Marimba
  • Love's Hangover
  • Love's Hangover Facebook Page
  • Quotable KEB
  • Three Worlds

Subscribe To

Posts
Atom
Posts
Comments
Atom
Comments
Watermark theme. Powered by Blogger.