28 January 2010

Haiti on my Mind...

Zuenden die Kerzen an

Haiti has been heavy on my mind today. I usually avoid blogging about natural disasters or calamities of some other kind because that's what everyone is doing. And I avoid doing the "cool thing" just for the sake of it. But Haiti has been heavy on my mind.

Perhaps a part of it comes from knowing the Ackermans personally. Allow me for just a second, to reminisce a little about the times I've gotten to spend with them.

Jacquie was pretty much my first American friend here. After a few episodes of drama, we finally found out that she had wanted to take me under her wing when I first got here, and I wanted her to as well. But because of those episodes of drama, we were both slightly nervous about taking the first step.

Then a couple years later, I met her crazy father, John. I knew John was a missionary only because Jacquie often talked about Haiti. First thoughts upon meeting him was that he was crazy - but in a fun way. He was quietly sarcastic, which always goes down well with me. I remember the last time they were in Anderson, John pulled me aside after service at Park Place one Sunday and asked if I was really doing ok. I froze a little because I hadn't expected one of our missionaries to care about us office staff. But John wasn't happy with "I'm good" or even "I'm busy." He wanted to know.

And then there was Jess. Jess is one of my favourite people to hug. And if you know me, you know I LIKE hugs. The first summer I met Jess, she would come visit me when I was working at the AU library when Jacquie was busy at her internship. We talked and laughed, and checked out the boys in the library. Then at the last convention, she was convinced I had a crush on Andrew, one of my co-workers (which, if you know both of us, you know how impossible that would be). We talked about her college applications since she was going to be a senior this year. I remembered trying to make her feel bad about not applying at AU, and how it didn't work.

And Jodie. Sweet lady, amazing teacher. I don't know her as well as I know the other three, but her gentle spirit and resilience, and just her love for her family and the people she worked with and for blow me away.

Before January 12, they were just friends I knew. After the earthquake, they were friends whose worlds had fallen apart right before their eyes.
Jacquie, being far away from everything - somewhat distanced, but not completely detached. I remember that feeling, though not quite at this magnitude.
John still continues doing what he does best with his nursing skills - except now the stress of even just living, finding food and buying gasoline can wear anyone down.
Jess' senior year will always be marked by this earthquake. College applications are complicated enough as it is. But how are they going to apply for financial aid and such when life has completely come to an abrupt halt like that?
Jodie resumed teaching school today to a one-room schoolhouse setting. She wrote, "Had 12 kids today, with probably a few more to come, from age four up through third grade. Felt a bit like herding cats all day combined with keeping corks under water. Hopefully it'll get a little easier when we all know what to expect."

And this is just one family that I have personal connection with. Today, Phil Murphy, one of our former missionaries came in after spending some time in Haiti. Phil and Lonnie have a few adopted Haitian grandchildren whom they were trying to bring in away from the chaos. But they were held at the customs in Florida for quite some time, one of whom had already had a traumatic experience when she was kidnapped some months ago. And their own son David is on meds to help him deal with this.

Then there's Laura Sellers, one of my favourite MK friends, daughter of Larry and LeAnn whose missionary experience began in Haiti even though they now call Cote d'Ivoire home. Laura was either born in Haiti or moved there shortly after. That's home for her too.

And the AU student whom I've never met, who didn't hear from his family for days after the quake happened. And Phyllis Newby, missionary from Jamaica to Haiti. And John's nurse Eden who lost her kids. And so many other stories of people I don't know. And all these pictures they keep sending.

Somedays I wonder, God why can't you just make it all better? I mean, you're God and all - you are able to. I'm also a theology student, so I can quickly rationalize it all away. But that doesn't stop the hurting. That doesn't change Jess' reality of her senior year. Or Eden's. Or the trauma that the Murphys' "grandkids" went through.

God, your people are crying. Will you bring them your comfort?

No comments:

Post a Comment