29 January 2010

Haiti Part Zwei and other stuff...

I think a part of why I chose to never blog about natural disasters and calamities of such is because there's this big hype about something happening. And then when the next new fad comes along, this old hype dies away. Then nobody cares anymore. It's not the cool thing to talk/blog about anymore.

I've been thinking a lot about that lately. How do we care about people in the long run? When something first happens, we respond quickly to the need, then after a while, we move on to the next thing. The next funeral. The next celebrity scandal. The next... whatever it may be. How do we care for the grieving ones after the funeral is over and the family is all gone and the house is silent again? How do we care for people after the "Hope for Haiti Now" concert is over and the disaster relief workers pull out of the area and move on with their lives? And how do we care for the disaster relief workers?

Lots of questions. No answers... at least, not yet.


In other news, here's a brief update on Berlin:

Had a good lunch meeting with Kelley, Patrick and Jamie. I'm excited to be working with them, and being thrown the real life questions about urban ministry. Still lots of details to be put together, like budgets and stuff, but I think we have most of it figured out.

Speaking of budgets, I may have found the perfect person to help me with my fundraising. Thonja, a lady who used to go to Chesterfield where I served as worship assistant for a year has offered to help lessen my load this semester in whatever way she can help. She and her husband Gary were also the key people who helped the youth group fundraise for the International Youth Convention two years ago.

Somehow, God still works in ways that I can't even begin to try to figure out.

No comments:

Post a Comment