Every once in a while, I need a reminder of why I write.
It was about ten years ago that I made my blogging debut as an angsty teenager. I was just beginning to understand the dynamics of this new world called cyber-space, and I wanted to be careful I didn't expose myself to unnecessary danger. I wrote some, but mostly ranted.
A couple years later, blogging became my way to stay in touch with friends when I moved halfway across the world. Then my mum found out through my cousins that I had started blogging. She graciously asked for permission to access my blog, and by then I realised I needed to blog even more carefully. The angsty rants lessened, and the life updates became more frequent.
Then one day, Mum subtly pointed out that my angsty posts weren't that great for Christian witness. I think it was then that I started forcing myself to infuse hope in my writing even when I didn't completely believe it past head knowledge.
These days, the angst is a whole lot less.
I write for closure more than for angst. It's become a challenge to find a way to string words together in a way that articulated hope more than hurt community life.
Or I write because my thoughts are all over the place and throwing them on the screen helps piece things together more coherently. I had Amber over for dinner earlier this week to help process some things, and and one point, I realised she was having trouble following my thoughts because she said, "You think like a girl... Like spaghetti, not waffles."
Or I write to grieve with community. Keren's death taught me it's easier to grieve together than alone.
So when I noticed the number of visitors doubling on the blog, I got scared. I didn't mean for my writing to get noticed. I don't know who's reading or how they're hearing what I'm saying, so I get insecure. I simply started writing because I was an angsty teenager. Most days, after I post a new blog, I want to go into hiding because I feel vulnerable having bared my heart.
I really didn't mean to get noticed, but since this blog is drawing more attention than I had ever expected, hello to each one of you.
I hope you've found this to be a place of solace and comfort.
A place where you find it's ok to stay in the darkness for a while because you have a friend here.
I hope you've found this to be a place where you can embrace the awkwardness of life and laugh along.
A place where you eventually find Light and Hope if they've felt distant for a while.
More importantly, I hope you find Love.
No comments:
Post a Comment