01 April 2013

Where We Come From

I've talked for a while about wanting to do a revamp to make better use of my social media presence. Well, I haven't come up with anything brilliant yet, but this has got me thinking about a new series that I've been mulling over separately. It's called "Where We Come From."

In an unexpected twist of events, I ended up with a quiet day at home to do anything I wanted. Because I work from home, I hardly ever want to stay home any more than necessary. But today, I wasn't allowed to do work. It was Easter Monday, and everyone else in New Zealand had the day off. And for once, the house was clean, the dishes were done and put away, and the laundry was on the line.

I could do anything I wanted for once.

Wow.

And so I got on Facebook and Twitter. I jumped back in to an ongoing conversation with the girls on Whatsapp. I scheduled Skype dates. And in the midst of trying to carefully plan my social life this week so that my tank could be refilled but not to a point that I was emotionally drained again, I realised something.

I won't deny that part of the reason why I'm on social media as much as I am is partially because I have a mild addiction to information overload. But there was something more.

In the five seconds or so that it takes to skim through the headlines that filter through the notifications I've set up on Facebook or Twitter over the years, I'm reminded again that I'm connected to something far bigger than me. These are the people who have shared one part of my story, and as I read about where they are today, I'm reminded of the adventures of when we sojourned together.


Someone pointed out the other day that often when I talk, I use "we" more than I. It was something I had noticed a while back and found to be slightly odd since I function mostly as an I on most social levels. But there's always a "we" involved in everything, and I've found it difficult to simply use "I" because it feels like I'm discrediting everything and everyone else that help keep things in order.

And so begins this new series called, "Where We Come From".
These are the stories of the collective voices that I have come to love as whanau (Maori for extended family).
These are the faces that complete my kampong (Malay for village).
These are the ones who have spoken Life to my weary being in seasons when I haven't taken care of myself.
These are the ones who have challenged me to live life outside the box.
These are the ones who have been imago Dei and who have extended grace and love to me.
These are the ones who have helped keep my faith and spirituality grounded.

And we all have our own stories and places where we have been.

I've mulled over this series for the past few months, starting and stopping and throwing everything out and found it to be a ridiculous series to even consider writing.
But I think the time has come to remind myself, mostly, of where I've come from.

And so these are the stories of Where We Come From.

No comments:

Post a Comment