Welcome.
We greet you with peace and hope that you will do the same for us.
Somehow, my heart is detached from this "new year" stuff this year. Not much of wanting to reflect on the year that has passed, or much of wanting to set goals for the year to come. Maybe that's part of what happens when, for two years in a row, you've spent either Christmas or New Years setting a new tradition of being in a different country.
Or just simply... Being away from the traditions of the Church family that I grew up with made a difference in the way I see life now.
I used to think Christmas and New Year's was the time to gather with loved ones to reflect on things that have passed and dream about the future. But now, the definition of "loved ones" have changed. I guess being in China for Christmas last year and in Cambodia for New Year's this year made me remember again that there is life outside of the Church.
Before you think I've fallen off the deep end and am walking away from my call to ministry, I haven't. The Deutschland adventures this year taught me that ministry doesn't happen exclusively in the Church, whether it be in the confines of the building, or just amongst other Christ followers. It happens in the everyday life with the people I live with and walk with.
And now, Cambodia just reminded me of that again.
All week long, there were Monkeys, Donkey, Shrek and Happy Feet.
All week long, we saw history, played cards, lived Khmer culture, hung out at the beach.
All week long, we lived, we laughed.
Sure it might be shallow, but this is where we start.
And maybe because of this, beginning and ends don't matter as much anymore.
Because beginnings and ends are our definition of time.
Who knows if our paths will cross again, but the tomfoolery of this past week will always be remembered.
As will the grandeur of Angkor Wat and the other temples of Cambodia.
And the haunting memories of the killing fields and S-21.
Pictures are on Facebook. If you want to hear stories, I'd love to catch up with you.
And so 2011 has arrived.
Welcome.
We greet you with peace and hope that you will do the same for us.
No comments:
Post a Comment