22 January 2011

Seasons of Grief; Seasons of Love

Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes,
Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Moments so dear.
Five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure, measure a year?


In daylights, in sunsets, in midnights
In cups of coffee
In inches, in miles, in laughter, in strife.


In five hundred twenty-five thousand
Six hundred minutes
How do you measure
A year in the life?


How about love?
How about love?
How about love? Measure in love

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that it isn't until you have cried with someone that you can truly say you know them. And it isn't until you've cried because of them, whether it's because you're hurting so much with them or because of them, that you can truly say you love them.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not trying to convince you that you need to be crying because of someone everyday, or that Days of Our Lives is an accurate depiction of love. I'm just saying that until we've really learnt what it means to hurt rationally with or for someone, we don't actually know them or love them.

Which, on hindsight, is probably what made 2010 such a difficult year. It wasn't simply a matter of how many times I moved or how many places I did life in in that year. It wasn't simply the transitioning in and out of cultures. It wasn't simply having to say goodbye.

Sure, the Anderson-Berlin-Anderson-Singapore-Anderson transitions were a bit crazy. Sure, there was some amount of stability in that Anderson was still the place to "land" in between all the moving. But no, in 2010 I finally learnt what it means to really love and do life with people. And each time I was starting to be able to hurt with the people I was living amongst, it was time to move on.

Friends who graduated in May, I never really had time to celebrate and grieve them moving on from Anderson and it was time to go to Berlin.
I was just starting to get to know some of the stories of the friends in Berlin and it was time to do the traveling part of the internship.
I had just enough time to spend with friends in Pforzheim to know about the things that mattered to them and it was time to go. Same with the friends in Fritzlar.
I barely had enough time to hear the hearts of some of the friends and hurt with the kids at Teenfreizeit and it was time to go back to Anderson.
My understanding of the theories of doing life together were just getting put to test by difficult relationships and times spent in the hospital; and I barely even had time to hurt over these things and it was time to go back to Singapore.
Old friends in Singapore were just starting to open up with their stories all over again and it was time to head back to Anderson.

So much time to learn to love; so little time to actually love.
So much time to laugh together about the shallow things; so little time to cry together.


But yet...
There is an appointed time for everything. And there is a time for every event under heaven--
A time to give birth and a time to die;
A time to plant and a time to uproot what is planted.
A time to kill and a time to heal;
A time to tear down and a time to build up.
A time to weep and a time to laugh;
A time to mourn and a time to dance.
A time to throw stones and a time to gather stones;
A time to embrace and a time to shun embracing.
A time to search and a time to give up as lost;
A time to keep and a time to throw away.
A time to tear apart and a time to sew together;
A time to be silent and a time to speak.
A time to love and a time to hate;
A time for war and a time for peace.
What profit is there to the worker from that in which he toils?
I have seen the task which God has given the sons of men with which to occupy themselves.
- Ecclesiastes 3:1-10

In the grander scheme of Life and Time according to the Creator, it all makes sense.

Sure, 2010 was brutal. But if I could go back and redo 2010, I wouldn't want to have done it any other way.

Because my God is a God of Love.
And all the Truth that I have in this Life is Love.
And Love is the only thing my God wants from me.
And Love is the only thing I have to give.
And for this Love, I will willingly take the grief, the heartaches and the pain that come with it.

Because my God is a God of Love.
And all the Truth that I have in this Life is Love.

1 comment:

  1. wow! i love that!
    read my newest post on my blog: http://rodonya-caladinya-ar-fare.blogspot.com/
    it's about love, too. a songtext, but mainly a text from the bible.
    ♥
    love.

    ReplyDelete