22 May 2010

Almost Disneyland

This is going to be another quick entry before heading down for breakfast and another full day ahead. But I haven't written in a couple days, so here we go.

Thursday morning, we visited a local public school in a poorer side of town. We hung out with some of the kids and painted games with them out in the courtyard. Most of group spoke little to no German and the kids spoke little English. But that's the beauty of humanity that transcends language barriers. Rather than say too much more, I'll let the pictures do the talking.


Left: Aaron and Adrian entertaining themselves.
Left: Amy Froese (Dr. Walter Froese's great-niece who was in town to help us translate) entertaining the kids
Left: Sandra, Verena and Paula, the three girls I painted with.
Left: This was the game we painted.
Just before we left, we went to say goodbye to them in their classroom. Apparently Jack had been entertaining them with a rendition of Lady Gaga which pulled off a round of laughs all around mostly because our group had NEVER seen or expected that from Jack. As we were saying our goodbyes, the kids asked for our autographs. And of course, Jack had to sign off as Gaga.

We then came back and cleaned up then went out for the evening for a bit of sightseeing - mostly just the artsy side of town. That will probably one of the places I'll spend quite a lot of time at after the group leaves. Something about the quaintness of the place and the people I'll get to meet there seems strangely appealing.

Bonhoefferhaus
Then yesterday we visited the Bonhoefferhaus. This was the very same place he was arrested, and where he did the majority of his writing. In spite of what the other seminarians say, I'm really by no means a theological nerd - except when it comes to Bonhoeffer or Nouwen.

But Bonhoeffer.

Something about the simplicity of the house he lived in was kind of odd but at the same time, a true reflection that he did actually live out his thoughts and writing. It really was a simple house, and it wasn't even fenced off or given added security. And one could pass by it and not even realise this was the Bonhoefferhaus.

So much more to process about Bonhoeffer, and why he's even more of a hero to me now. But I don't want to ramble, and I'm starting to need my morning dose of coffee.

Hey if you want to see pictures, here's the link to the Facebook album. You don't have to be logged in to see the pictures.

Today there'll be a bit more sightseeing, then we'll go to the cultural festival close by. Tonight is also the Champions League finals where Bayern plays Inter. We'll be going to the US equivalent of a sports bar to watch the game and hang out with the people there. Funny how football unites the world. In case you didn't already know, I'm also looking forward to the actual World Cup season and hanging out with the local football fans. I don't care what the rest of the US thinks, football is the game you play with your foot, not your hands.

Alright, breakfast/coffee time. Love you all.

1 comment:

  1. You have now piqued my curiosity concerning why Bonhoeffer is even more of a hero to you now. I'll try to be patient for that posting. Looks like you all were a hit with the kids ... go figure!

    ReplyDelete