31 May 2010

Freckles on my Nose and Holes in my Shoes

I learnt a song in elementary school that goes something like this...

I've got freckles on my nose
Holes in my shoes
The wrong coloured socks
And a missing tooth
I'm not Superman
God, You made me the kid that I am
And...

Thank You God for who I am
I don't have to be a Superman
Thank You God for who I am
All I want to be is your best friend

Sometimes I'm weak
I fall on my knees
I've got skins and bruises
All over me
I'm not Superman
God, You made me the kid that I am
And...

Thank You God for who I am
I don't have to be a Superman
Thank You God for who I am
All I want to be is your best friend

For whatever reason, this is the song that has been stuck in my head all morning. I haven't heard that song in years, but then it dawned on me that this IS the song for this moment - or maybe just my life in general. Some days my socks are mismatched, other days I'm just the awkward kid in the room. Some days I trip over my own feet, other days I just have to laugh at myself and remind myself I'm really not Superman (or woman for those of you needing the political correctness).

But in spite of all that, this is the very reason I'm in Berlin - learning what it means to be the best friend I can be even if I'm awkward, mismatched and messy. To build intentional relationships even if I'm only here for a short time. To embrace brokenness in community and to find healing together. Like a stained glass art formed by pieces of broken glass pieced together by the Master Artist, we can only find true beauty when we step back and look at the bigger picture. When we see how our stories are put together and allow the Light of the Master to shine through, that's when we find meaning in our individual stories - not in insolation, but in community. And it is within this safe circle of friendship that we find the space to be creative with our giftedness to give back to each other, and to the community in which we live in.

And who better to have as mentors for this internship than Kelley and Rhonda?
Kelley sees the big picture and is never willing to put God or ministry in a box. He dreams big and is always willing to step aside and let someone else more gifted than he is in certain areas to take charge. Most importantly, he reminds me of the importance of laughter so that life and ministry won't drive us over the edge.
Rhonda on the other hand is the personification of hospitality. Growing up in a home where my brother and I always knew the kids from youth group can (and usually are dying to) come and hang out if they didn't want to go home, Mum did an exceptional job teaching us about hospitality. Rhonda reminds me of the warmth of hospitality such as remembering the simple things like an extra toothbrush, or celebrating life's big moments like birthdays or the day a husband comes home from war.

What can I say? I may have freckles on my nose and holes in my shoes, but as long as I remain obedient on this journey of faith, God knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment