15 May 2010

Luther and all that Jazz...

I figured I should at least write something here today since all my pictures from today got deleted. Granted I didn't take very many today, but I need to at least remember some pieces of what we did today.

I'm starting to be unsure about whether I like the big spread at breakfast every morning. Not because it's bad, but because it's so good that it starts my metabolism going and then I get hungry. Like I am right now. Oh well. If you know anything about my eating habits, you'll probably know that this is a good thing.

So after breakfast this morning, we hit the streets again. And again, things went by in a fuzz today so I'll just write what I can remember. We went to a street market-ish thing that's just in front of the building where JFK did his "Ich bin ein Berliner" speech. Lunch was at this restaurant called Jamarican which is a cross between Jamaican and American food. And of course, goat curry is amazing. I was telling some of the group that usually when I leave somewhere, I try to think of the foods that I will miss and eat them before I leave. But I knew coming to Berlin, I wouldn't have to worry about that. It will probably be leaving Berlin that I'll have to think about that again.

After lunch, we raced to the American Church Berlin where we helped in a food distribution project. I don't think I was prepared for the fact that the food we were going to be distributing was fresh produce rather than canned goods. And also, I was forced to practise my limited German, which was probably a good thing.

Rhonda told me that as we hit the different ministry sites over the next couple weeks while the rest of the group is here, if I find myself wanting to go back to one of the sites, to try and get connected with the people in charge while I'm there. The ACB is probably one of the places I would like to frequent, just because of the diversity of the people who come to that - not just ethnic diversity, but religious affiliations as well. And with all my fascination with people in transition, somehow that seems to make sense.

Again, so much to process but no time for it. Just quick ramblings and now it's time for bed again.

OH! We also saw the Luther film tonight in anticipation for Wittenberg tomorrow. I really don't have much of a theologically nerdy side, but what percentage of that that I have is getting really excited.

I'll try to write again tomorrow. And let's be praying my photos don't magically disappear into a Facebook unfriendly format so I can't post them.

Love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment